Research suggests 70% of individuals ‘unaware of inheritance tax nil-rate band’

Research carried out by Canada Life has suggested that a significant amount of individuals ‘do not know the threshold’ for the standard inheritance tax (IHT) nil-rate band. Canada Life found that 70% of those surveyed did not know the standard … Find out more »


Chancellor commissions OTS to review inheritance tax rules

Chancellor Philip Hammond has commissioned the Office of Tax Simplification (OTS) to review the UK’s inheritance tax (IHT) regime, and outline ways in which the tax can be simplified. In a letter to Angela Knight, Chair of the OTS, and … Find out more »

Registering the Death

You normally need to register a death within five days in England and Wales which is often a daunting task after the death of someone you love. It is best to act as soon as possible as any delay in registering the death can delay the  funeral arrangements. The necessary steps are dependant on the circumstances of the death and we have outlined these below.

It is advisable to let the deceased’s GP know of the death if they have not signed the death certificate and they will also be able to advise you on what you need to do.

Where to register a death

The death will need to be registered at the Births, Deaths and Marriages Register Office nearest to where the person died and you will need to make an appointment beforehand (this generally takes half an hour). Details can be obtained from the local council office who will also advise on the necessary documentation required.

Who can register a death

If the death occurred in a house or a hospital, it can be registered by a relative, a hospital official, a person present at the death in the house or the person making the funeral arrangements.

Documents you will need to register a death are as follows:

You will need to have a death certificate signed by a GP which states the cause of death.

It will also be necessary to take the deceased’s birth certificate, NHS card (if possible) and marriage or civil partnership certificate.

In addition, you will need to tell the Registrar the deceased’s full names, maiden name (if appropriate),  address, whether receiving a state pension, occupation (or occupation prior to retirement) and the full name, date of birth and occupation of a spouse or civil partner.

The Registrar will also give you information on the next steps to be taken and will provide you with a certificate giving permission to bury or cremate the body and a certificate of registration of death.

If the death is referred to a coroner you will need to await the coroner’s report before registering the death.