Research suggests 70% of individuals ‘unaware of inheritance tax nil-rate band’

Research carried out by Canada Life has suggested that a significant amount of individuals ‘do not know the threshold’ for the standard inheritance tax (IHT) nil-rate band. Canada Life found that 70% of those surveyed did not know the standard … Find out more »


Chancellor commissions OTS to review inheritance tax rules

Chancellor Philip Hammond has commissioned the Office of Tax Simplification (OTS) to review the UK’s inheritance tax (IHT) regime, and outline ways in which the tax can be simplified. In a letter to Angela Knight, Chair of the OTS, and … Find out more »

Deaths Abroad

If a death occurs outside of the UK, the death will need to be registered according to local regulations and a Death Certificate obtained.  For the registration process, the full name, date of birth, passport number, where and when the passport was issued,  and details of next of kin will be required.

In some countries (not all) the British Consulate should be notified so that the next of kin in the UK can be informed (usually by the police).  They will also be able to offer advice and support in how to go about registering the death and returning the body to the UK.  They will also be able to keep in touch with the family until burial or cremation has taken place or the deceased has been brought back to the UK.

For further information please go to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office website